Monday, October 11, 2004

Progress.

Good news. I'm currently on page 14 of my thesis report on GPS. Expected to write near the 25-30 mark. I'm sure I can bullshit my way there.

Had a chat while writing my report with a friend.. it's amazing to know that we've been friends for 8 years and counting. =D It's a long story... but the thing was we got to become classmates in jc. I'm soooooo happy. I know he won't read my blog so I can exclaim as loudly as I want.

I seriously wonder who actually visits this blog. I mean, other than a few of my close friends (about 8 I guess), cousin (only 1 visits this blog) and my brother, I can't think of anyone else. Hmmm...

Anyway I watched a documentary on the life of a 16th century Spanish painter named Diego Velasquez this afternoon. Pretty cool paintings I must say.. I present to you, Las Meninas.



The intriguing part is why Velasquez chose to paint the entire ceiling (the top half of the painting) when the focus was in the lower right hand corner. Also, his style of painting was groundbreaking. Notice how his subjects seemed to be looking at one point, as if posing for an unseen photographer. This is rare and unheard of in the 16th century.

Now we look at Da Vinci's infamous paintings, Virgin of the Rocks. Controversial stuff. He was asked to draw a picture of Mary, John, Christ and Uriel but when he came up with the drawing, it suggested something more*. This original painting was then rejected and he had to draw a more "watered down" version for the church.

The original, Madonna of the Rocks, which is now hung in the Louvre in Paris.



The "watered down" version, Virgin of the Rocks, which now graces the wall in London.



Artsy fartsy, isn't it?

*: This is actually quite controversial... you have to read up on this. I won't write what's wrong with it in my blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Symin...

heh heh its me... Huishi... been a long long looooong while since we last left off. My bad.. haven't been logging on to ICQ for god knows how long.. it was giving me trouble so now using msn.. you have? Anyway, just dropping a note to tell you that i'm one of the devoted readers of your blog despite my bloody busy schedule.. Take care over there ah.... All the Best for your thesis report!! Get it over and done with girl!... stop procrastinating! goodness.. look who's talking...

luv,

Hwee Shee.. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey hey, that was a cool blog. =) I'm gonna start looking up on that controversial pic. Geesh sai, a tech report SUCKS! Mine was only 13 pages n i hauled ass on that. Geesh, shouldn't complain, but all the best anyway. ~~qishan

Min said...

*sob* I'm so grateful you guys are reading my posts. ^_______^ hweeshee, i do have msn. erm.. how do i add u without telling the whole world my email anyway? and qishan, i'm glad you like my pictures!

Anonymous said...

haha i'll tell the whole wide world mine...

huishi@singnet.com.sg

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...