Wednesday, April 02, 2008

My tv is a huge monitor.

I may have discovered Heaven. And all I did was to hook up my computer to my telly.

-- Erm... testing with a .avi file of a popular teenage-ish tv series .

Isn't she a beauty?

Now I can watch all 18 seasons of The Simpsons on a big screen in all its yellowy goodness. And gigantic YouTube clips on my telly.


And all it took was a S-Video -> RCA cable and 2 trips to the electrical store. J and I got a VGA cable because the salesman said "oh sure, all LCD tellys have VGA input. It will work."

Which was why we had to make a second trip because "no, silly salesman, my LCD telly doesn't have a VGA input".

Silly salesman and 2 drives later, I can now sit back on my bed and watch YouTube clips. Yay!


The other thing that bothers me is all the friggin unsightly cables hanging EVERYWHERE.



I have consoles, DVD player and all kinds of wires behind the telly. I think one fine day, it's going to burst into flames and engulf most of my worldly (and expensive) belongings, making me a sad sad person.

-- Think Hindenburg. But indoors.


For everyone who wants to enjoy YouTube on your telly, here's the dummy guide for it.
  1. Plug in the S-Video end to your computer/laptop.
  2. Plug the RCA end to your telly (those red, yellow and white thingies)
  3. (Assuming you are using Windows XP) Go to Desktop, right click -> Properties. You should be at Display Properties.
  4. Select Settings -> Advanced.
  5. Select Display and set your telly to be the primary monitor.

[The last step makes anything playing on your Windows Media Player, display on your telly. Otherwise you'll just get a black screen, which drove me mad for quite a bit till I Google-d how to resolve it.]

Sit back and enjoy. And you may send your gratitude in cash/email/praises/respect.


Links:
Hindenburg - Wikipedia entry
Forum 1 - Find out how to set telly to primary monitor.


2 comments:

Sleepy Scott said...

So you sit on your bed and watch YouTube clips and the Simpsons on your telly? Sounds like fun.

Since I don't have a large tv to suspend over/near my bed, I guess I must settle for living vicariously through you.

Have fun!

Rach said...

yes it sounds like lots of fun. But at the same time a wee bit pathetic. =/

mmmmm my telly came from my very first paycheck. Greatest feeling in the world to buy something with my own money =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...