Thursday, August 07, 2008

Bali - The temples.

Religion is a very integral part of the Balinese way of life. The locals put offerings in front of their homes and shops, giving thanks to the gods and spirits.

-- I think it's bad luck (and bad manners) if you step on them.

(I've been lazy and it's almost 2 months since my holiday in Bali. I can't believe I've only just sorted all the photos J and I took on 2 cameras, 3 SD cards. )

J and I visited the Balinese temples on our vacation.

Gunung Kawi Sebatu Tegallalang does not look much at first glance.

-- A sunken temple?

But it is beautiful.

-- Ceremonial shrines.

Balinese temples are characterised by the inner and outer courtyards and numerous shrines on the temple grounds.

The split gate represents the splitting of the world so that a person can enter the spiritual world of the temple. (Yes, I just paraphrased something out of my Discovery Channel Bali guide.)

-- The split gate separates the inner and outer courtyards of the temple.

Every little thing in the temple grounds are masterfully crafted and a lot of restoration work goes into the temple to preserve it.



I was quite intrigued and awed by the water feature, and I went in for a closer look.

-- Holy water.

Visitors have to 'borrow' a ceremonial sash for a small fee in order to enter the temple. I think the money goes towards the preservation fund.

-- That's a blurry photo of me in the orange sash.

Visitors are advised to dress modestly, with covered shoulders and legs. I somehow missed this bit while I was there, and I wore a sun dress exposing my shoulders to the gods. Which is NOT appropriate temple wear according to my Bali guide book when I finally got to that page. I think the locals and the gods must be clicking their tongues at me and my dress, walking around their sacred temples, desecrating sacred grounds with my sun dresses.

Oops, sorry.

J and I visited Pura Tanah Lot the day before we left. Pura Tanah Lot is breathtaking. It is one of the sea temples strewn across the coast of Bali where everyone goes for the sunset.



J and I could see why.



The meandering coastal walk was perfect as the sun set. I can't wait to go back again.



1 comment:

zati hazira said...

bali is great huh? btw, the market place shots u asking about were taken during my journey to Kelantan, east malaysia... :)
thanks for visiting my page :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...