Thursday, April 30, 2009

People look at us funny.

I guess this post is breaking up the string of wedding related posts but it's something I have to get off my chest.

I consider myself a fairly traditional person despite quite a bit of my personal choices and actions. Yes I may not know how to cook authentic Chinese food, I kind of ran off to Spain for a week and I don't stay with my parents. These, of course, exasperate my poor parents. But I love and respect them. The whole Confucianism filial piety moral decency thing. Whatever you want to call it.

I find it insulting and in poor taste when strangers give J and I a second look. Yes he's Caucasian and I'm Chinese. We may not share the same skin color. We don't share the same heritage. But we love each other.

People look at us funny and well mostly, condescending. J is assumed to be a highly paid expatriate who is just fooling around with an Asian girl. And I'm the willing party because I'm shallow and wants his money and citizenship elsewhere. I'm the enemy. I'm the sellout.

Honestly it baffles me why people are still so hung up on interracial relationship. The city is a melting pot where men and women from different parts of the world converge. This is just rude and unbelievable in such a metropolitan city.

Is this happening elsewhere?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...