Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bad news and turning into a monster.

Today hasn't been the best day in quite a while.

I came to work all happy and extremely punctual, only to find an empty coffee cup on my desk and my swivel chair facing the wrong way.



Vendors come and go, and I understand that there aren't enough seats to go around. I left early yesterday at about 3pm because I started work at 6.30am. So it's perfectly ok if someone took my seat in the afternoon.

But to leave a coffee cup on my desk? That's just rude.

The lost-in-space agent called me after I sent her a text asking for updates. She doesn't seem strong enough to push for developments. I guess I turned into a total b*tch and was firm with her. I just thought if a person makes a mistake, he should fix it. And the space cadet of an agent should step up to the game and make him remedy the situation, and not letting it slide so easily.



As soon as I hung up, something happened. I was taken down a notch. I even felt bad for going all b*tch mode on the space cadet.

A lady who used to work in the office building sent out a mass email. Her 4 year old daughter has stage 4 bone cancer. Her husband left her when she was 8 months pregnant with her. The doctors here give her a 20% survival rate. And her chances are better at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in NYC.

But it will cost her $500,000 just in initial payments.

She is a single mother with a cancer stricken 4 year old.

I feel so bad for her. I made a small donation but I want to do more. I doubt we'll be able to raise $500,000 in this building.

I guess the approach to all medical treatment is to start as soon as possible. But just how long does it take to raise the initial $500,000? Can the little girl wait till then? And the thought of other medical payments she will face during this entire ordeal is just too daunting.

Just how can I do more? I'm not really sure.

Link:
A mother's journal on the little girl - link
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center - Pediatric Cancer Center


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...