Saturday, January 16, 2010

Discrimation, patriotism or nationalism.

You feel like you have a future together. You don't know what's going to happen or how, but you hope for the best anyway.

You try. You work hard. You make friends with his friends.

You share similar views, you understand where he's coming from. And sometimes you feel like he's got it all wrong.

..........

I'm not talking about J and I, Just a country I've spent a decade in.

Sometimes I feel a little unwelcomed in the tiny island that has been my host country for the past couple of years. I studied here since I was a child and it feels like home to me.

But that doesn't mean that the feeling is reciprocal.

Foreigners take our jobs.
Foreigners bring crime to society.
Foreigners are buying up all our homes.
Foreigners are marrying all our men/women.
Foreigners are taking all the places in our schools.
Foreigners bring their disgusting habits over.
Foreigners are no good so let's charge them a different rate for schools and medical needs and homes. To make it fair. To make our citizenship mean something.

Even though as a foreigner I pay taxes. Even I work and contribute to the country.

I feel like the place I've called home, doesn't want me here.

And it's not a good feeling at all.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...