Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Time Capsule, NAS and my backup woes.

Have you ever looked for a file/music/document on your computer, only to realise it's on another laptop/portable hard disk/ somewhere out in the universe?

Sometimes J and I want to share music, photos and movies but it is just such a hassle to save 2 copies of the same thing. That excludes me copying the file, putting it on a thumb drive or portable hard disk, and J copying the file onto his laptop.

-- oooh very cute!

Imagine doing that for every single bit of data we want to share.

[We have terabytes of glorious data.]

And I'm worried about my data. I want to make backups of them so I won't ever lose photos from 7 years ago because the silly hard disk dies. I am frustrated, perplexed and I wish I could NAS the beejeeesus out of all the computers at home.

I just want a central storage for all our stuff and clone the storage as a backup.

Ever since I gave my MacBook Pro to J, he has become a Mac fanatic. Ipod touch, iPad, Time Capsule, Mac anything.



I haven't had time to fiddle with the Time Capsule but it is, in essence, a network attached storage device. Which means it is mountable on any OS and we can use the Time Capsule as a central storage device!

Thing is, we are running a myriad of OS. Snow Leopard, Windows XP, Windows Vista and very soon Windows 7 when my work laptop gets upgraded.

Will all our computers be able to access the Time Capsule?


O rly? Hmm..

A few years back (pre MacBook Pro days), I thought of setting up a desktop that never shuts down and attaching an external storage to the desktop. With the desktop online, I could ftp or remotely access my files, which would be filed neatly according to types in separate folders. All my files will be synchronized to the external storage at a scheduled time.

Well guess the procrastinator in me won, because this thing never happened.

I guess it's time to do some research on Time Capsule, Windows Vista and Snow Leopard!


Links:
Network Attached Storage (NAS) - wikipedia
Time Capsule - Official Apple page


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...