Monday, October 17, 2011

Tough choices and the consequences of increasing the bottom line.

Sometimes life is just full of tough choices. You don't know what's going to happen but you are going to take up the challenges head on and keep your fingers crossed that things are going to work out for the best.

You see, I just quit my job.

While I enjoy my work and my friendship with my colleagues, I can't help but feel that I'm getting into a comfortable routine. Work isn't getting any easier, it just that I'm used to the nature of the work and it's just the volume of work which has been dialed up. It's like being a taxi driver. You are driving someone while being booked by another fare due in another 15 minutes and you're stuck in the middle of the goddamn traffic. You know you are not going to make it on time. Similar situation, just multiply it by 4.


Since the nature of work isn't going to change, I've decided to be the change. I don't know if it's going to give me the balance and direction I'm looking for, but I can say I am trying.



It's hard to break the news to your work friends, especially if you work with them 12 hours a day. I'm swamped with work and I just soooo wanna throw in the towel now and let the department deal with the workload. I have tendered, my work energy and momentum is low, I just wanna quietly live out my days. But because they are my friends, I'm trying not to be such a jerk to them.

Everyone I know seems to be on the lookout for something better. Work life balance is elusive, and almost an urban myth on the tiny island. If people tell you they knock off on time at 5pm, they are lying. It just means that they have gone home and continued working till maybe 9-10pm. That's geography.

Is it greed or ambition that drive us? Do we really need to slog at the expense of our health just to live a little better, to enjoy life? What enjoyment do we get, if we are popping sleeping pills, throwing back Red Bull and taking heart medication to cope with teh daily grind just to afford fabulous holidays? Everyone is in it to make money. Everyone focuses on the bottom line. If the company makes 1 million in profit in 2010, it wants to make 5 million in 2011 all without increasing headcount. How can we work 5 times the workload and not break down?


Well if they pay me gazillion dollars and I can afford a Gulfstream and a yacht, that's an entirely different story.

Is it all worth it in the end?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...