Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Foundation - The quest for The One.

I use makeup everyday and I'm always on the lookout for something great. No outbreaks, no heartaches.

I was almost running out of MAC when I bought a bottle of Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. I love it. Love it. It's light, provides enough coverage and not cakey. The assistant said I should apply with a brush to get a more finished look, and that's how I ended up with the mini brush set. (Sigh there goes my bank account again. Seriously, why am I not on Citibank's valued customer list is beyond me. They earn way too much from me every month.)

Anyhoo I find the makeup a bit much when I apply it with a brush. Plus it takes me forever to get it done! I don't know how Lisa Eldridge does it so effortlessly on her video tutorials. So now, I'm applying the foundation with my fingers. Somehow I can blend it a little better than the brush.


(Watch her videos if you can. There's lots to know about foundation!)
http://www.lisaeldridge.com/blog/25694/foundationcourse-round-up/

This is all good and dandy till lunch time.
The heat, humidity and all jazz just ruins the makeup. My face is an oil slick and I'm always blotting away my foundation. I think my skin is getting all funky as well, because even light pats with the blotter, my face will always end up red. It goes away but it just looks irritated or sensitive.

So I'm on the lookout for a good oil control primer / foundation now. Something to calm the skin and control the oil problem. Enter Lancome Mat Miracle foundation and Dermalogica's Skinperfect Primer.

Omg is the Mat Miracle foundation a godsend.



I've used the foundation for 2 weeks and my face stays matte for a good 8 hours. It gets a bit oily by maybe 4pm but nothing like the oil slick I used to have. Another plus: No outbreaks at all. This rocks my socks.

It's a little bit heavier (? thicker?) than Vitalumiere Aqua, but it's still very blendable on the skin. I use my fingers because I just suck at using foundation brushes and morning is just a very bad time to practise makeup application. 

Thing is, this gives a matte look so my skin is not glowy and illuminated like the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua effect. Sometimes it even looks flat so a bit of blush helps. I skip the blush sometimes because I'm running late for work. I've even applied the foundation in the car and so far, it turns out even. I'm a convert.

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua is good but Lancome Mat Miracle is the longest wearing foundations I’ve ever worn. The Chanel makeup lady taught me to apply powder over Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua to set the foundation, control oil and whatever magic the powder is supposed to do. Now, I don't even apply any powder to "set" my foundation anymore. It's quick, good and that's all anyone need right?

On crappier days when my skin just acts up, I apply the Skin Perfect Primer. It's tinted but I don't think it has any effect on me color-wise. It feels velvety and helps the foundation go on better. 

Seriously my skin hates me with all its guts. It gets irritated, dry in some areas and of course hits me with gigantic angry pimples right in the middle of my chin or cheek or anywhere else that people can see. Just this week, it's at the corner my lip. So huge you can see it from space. It's distracting. Anyhoo, the primer helps when my skin is acting up. 

2 thumbs up for the new finds!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...